I love recipes that are wide open to interpretation. This potato breakfast skillet is just such a recipe. You could add anything: onions, green peppers, fresh tomatoes, salsa, mushrooms, cheese of any sort, spinach, broccoli, chilies, ham, sausage, bacon, leftover chili, hamburger, anything you have leftover in the fridge.
I will often call a meal like this something like “tater surprise.” It’s like when my kids ask what’s for breakfast and I say, “food.” The kids get a little nervous when I evade their questions. I like to play with their heads. I am evil that way. So far, though, whenever I combine cheese, potatoes and eggs with any meat, they are sure gobble up every bite.
This can easily be served meatless. Add more vegetables to “beef” it up. Alternately, add more than one cheese or meat to give it another flavor layer. The best part of this recipe is that you can make it your own.
1. Info for Tater Skillet Surprise
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Tater Skillet Surprise
- 4 cups frozen or refrigerated shredded potatoes
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in skillet, add potatoes and onion.
- Cover and cook 5-7 minutes on medium.
- Uncover and stir potatoes.
- Add ham.
- Cover and cook 5-7 more minutes.
- Uncover, pour beaten egg and then cheese all over, cover and cook 2-3 more minutes or until egg is set and cheese is melted.
- Season with salt & pepper.