I never liked pancakes growing up and waffles were only okay if I used so much butter and real maple syrup that it’d ooze out as I cut them. I never put two and two together, but my mom hates pancakes and waffles. I mean she NEVER eats them and makes them only after much nagging. Don’t tell her, but I think I hated them growing up because they were terrible! Mom’s a fantastic cook, but if she doesn’t like something, she doesn’t try really hard to make that dish tasty.
Fast forward a few decades to life as a mom and I realized that I do indeed adore both pancakes and waffles. It took me a while to find the perfect waffle recipe. This one is it. I use a “motel style” Belgian waffle maker only. I like the deep divots for holding butter and syrup on our waffles. Although this recipe takes an extra bowl and the mixer, it is worth the effort.
1. Info for Waffles
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter or oil
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a big glass bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Add milk, sugar, flour, powder and egg yolks.
- Stir until just moist (lumpy). In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold whites into waffle batter.
- Cook waffles according to your waffle iron’s particular directions.
- I have to spray my iron with PAM between each waffle.
- These freeze well.
- I reheat them in the toaster so they get crisp again.