So, although I don’t have any zucchini growing in my yard this year, I was still the beneficiary of someone’s bountiful harvest. I have made two batches of zucchini fruit leather and have plans to make at least 2 more. The kids have been eating it like crazy and I only have one roll of it left in the canister I stored it in. The Musician was saying today that he won’t tell his friends what’s in it until they take a bite and even then they don’t believe him.
I also made a double batch of zucchini cupcakes today and put them in the freezer, unfrosted. That made 4 dozen, which will give me 4 different nights of dessert. Despite being chock full of good-for-you squash, the kids really like them. I think giving them the fruit leather and caramel frosted cupcakes have taught them that squash is pretty good as a baking ingredient. I still haven’t convinced them that sauteed zucchini is delicious.
Today, I am sharing Zucchini Oatmeal Muffins. I don’t like zucchini bread, so I had to come up with something else to bake with zucchini. It is in muffin form for ease of serving and freezing. Actually, I really like to make them into those tiny loaves in the little paper liners. They are about 2″ X 4″. One is almost too big for just one person. They are great with butter(though what isn’t?). If you want to make them gluten free, there are options in the notes.
1. Info for Zucchini Oatmeal Muffins
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Zucchini Oatmeal Muffins
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar (I sometimes use ½ cup sugar, 1 cup applesauce)
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cup shredded zucchini
- Mix dry ingredients (including sugar).
- Add eggs and oil and stir until just moistened.
- Fold in the fruit, zucchini and nuts.
- Spoon into paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.
4. Tips and advices:
- To make gluten free, substitute gf all purpose flour for the regular, add 1 tsp xanthan gum and make sure your oatmeal and baking powder are gluten free. You can also substitute coconut palm sugar for the white with great results.