Juicy, sweet and succulent, strawberries are the unofficial fruit of summer. There’s no better way to end a perfectly grilled meal than with a dessert full of fresh berry goodness. Here are a few sweet strawberry treats to keep you going all summer long.
1. Balsamic Strawberries Over Ice Cream
The rich taste of balsamic vinegar adds a tangy kick to this sophisticated dessert. No skimping on the ice cream! Look for a good brand of extra creamy French vanilla.
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 scoops French vanilla ice cream
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar, and stir until it begins to melt. Add strawberries and mint. Cook until strawberries begin to soften and turn a deep red. Scoop ice cream into bowls and top with warm strawberries.
Put a modern spin on classic strawberry shortcake by layering grilled pound cake, sweetened whip cream and balsamic strawberries.