Nothing beats a quintessential apple spice cake in the fall, but this bundt cake takes apple cake to a new level. This incredibly moist yet light and fluffy cake is studded with diced Granny Smith apples and walnuts for texture, with a swirl of fall spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to shine a light on fall flavors. It’s sweetened with brown sugar and the natural sugar of the apples — and bakes up beautifully for a combination of apple pie and pound cake.
## The Best Apples For Baking
The best baking apples offer a balance of sweet and tart flavors as well as flesh that doesn’t break down completely in the oven. This recipe calls for classic Granny Smith apples, one of the most popular choices. They’re tart with firm flesh, making them perfect for baking — but if you like a splash of sweetness, Honeycrisp apples are a tasty alternative. They provide a juicy crispness and are firm enough to bake with. You can also use Braeburn apples because they’re firm and keep their shape while baking. You can also mix and match your apples to suit your taste.
## Recipe Variations
Make it your own recipe with one of these customizations:
_Go Gluten-Free._ Swap the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour such as almond flour or coconut flour — but be careful about ratios, as coconut flour, for example, is extremely absorbent.
_Drizzle With Caramel Sauce.
_Top With Frosting.
_Add A Glaze.
## Baking Tips
_Give It Time._ Because this bundt cake is large, it will take a decent amount of time in the oven — about 55-70 minutes. Your bake time may be slightly higher or lower, which is normal because every oven heats differently.
_Use Fresh Apples._ Fresh apples have the best flavor. If you want to keep them a little longer, they can be refrigerated. Use perforated plastic bags or containers that allow airflow to prevent them from drying.
_Prepare Your Apples._ Always peel your apples completely before baking with them. The skin becomes tough and won’t break down well when cooked. If you get a bite of cake with even a little bit of apple skin, it won’t be the best bite.
This cake is wonderful served warm, at room temperature, or even cold. Store leftover cake at room temperature for up to three days, or in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can also freeze it for up to three months. Just thaw the cake overnight in the fridge, then allow it to come to room temperature on the kitchen counter. It’s ideal for making ahead of time and serving whenever you’re ready.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Apple Spice Bundt Cake.
1. Info for Apple Spice Bundt Cake
- Cook Time: 1 hr 22 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 22 min
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 488.81 kcal
2. Ingredients for Apple Spice Bundt Cake
- 1 cup (230 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 g) dark or light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 g) sour cream
- 3 cups (365 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2 oz. (1/2 cup) walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a bundt cake pan liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar, canola oil, and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the ingredients together on medium speed for 1 minute, or until smooth. Add the eggs and sour cream, and continue to beat for a minute more, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl. Beat the mixture on low until the ingredients begin to come together. Slowly stream in the buttermilk and continue mixing, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed, until a smooth, medium-thick batter forms.
- Peel and core the apples. Dice the apples into scant 1/2” cubes. Finely chop the walnuts.
- Transfer the diced apples and chopped walnuts to the mixing bowl. Beat on low speed for 15-30 seconds, until distributed.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan.
- Transfer the pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the bundt cake for 55-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes.
- To release the cake, run a butter knife between the edge of the cake and the pan. Turn the cake onto a large serving plate.
- Allow the cake to cool for 1-2 hours before slicing and serving.