Chicken tinga tacos are an easy way to upgrade your weeknight dinner. Minimal chopping and a little bit of simmering in a spicy, smoky sauce delivers a traditional Mexican dish for a casual yet extraordinary meal.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Chicken Tinga Tacos.
1. Info for Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Servings: 5
- Calories: 379 kcal
2. Ingredients for Chicken Tinga Tacos
- 5 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, from can
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from can of chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 large white onion, sliced in strips and divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 10 corn tortillas, warmed
- Purple cabbage, shredded
- Cilantro, sprigs
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Lime wedges
- Add tomatoes, garlic cloves, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce, a quarter of the sliced onions, and 1/2 cup water to a blender container. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add remaining onion strips, reduce heat to low, and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the tomato mixture from the blender into the sautéed onions. Stir in 1/2 cup water, oregano, and chicken bouillon. Add more water in 1/4 cup increments if you prefer your mixture with more liquid. Add shredded chicken; stir, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top tortillas with chicken tinga. Garnish with cabbage, cilantro, cheese and a squeeze of lime juice.