A can of chipotle chilies in adobo (feisty smoked jalapeños in a tangy, earthy tomato sauce) is a pantry staple no kitchen should be without. Case in point: This weeknight-friendly taco dinner made with rotisserie chicken tastes complex, thanks to both minced chipotles and a spoonful of the adobo sauce, but it comes to the table in 45 minutes.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Shredded Chipotle Chicken Tacos.
1. Info for Shredded Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 603 kcal
2. Ingredients for Shredded Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cup cooked chicken (shredded, rotisserie or leftover)
- 3 Tbsp. chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (3 Tbsp. is 2 Tbsp. minced chilies plus 1 Tbsp. sauce from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 taco shells
- 1 1/4 cup Mexican shredded 4-cheese blend
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves (large)
- 1 tomato (large, chopped)
- 1 lime (sliced in wedges)
- 1 avocado (large, chopped)
- 1/3 cup cilantro sprigs
Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
Chop the onion. Shred the chicken with your fingers. Mince the chipotles.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until transparent, 4-5 minutes. Add chicken, season with salt, and cook until hot, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes. Fold in the adobo sauce to distribute evenly. Remove from heat.
Line bottom of a baking dish with parchment paper. Arrange the taco shells upright in baking dish.
Evenly divide the chicken mixture among taco shells, and add the cheese.
Bake the tacos until cheese melts, 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the toppings.
Stack the lettuce leaves and slice crosswise. Dice the tomato. Cut the lime into wedges. Dice the avocado.
Check to see that tacos are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Top tacos with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.