Bring the sweet and scrumptious flavors of Christmas in Germany to your kitchen with this recipe for traditional German Vanilla Cookies. Known as Vanille Kipferl in German, these vanilla cookies are traditionally shaped like a crescent and covered in powdered sugar. Made with crushed almonds and vanilla extract, these cookies have a rich and buttery vanilla flavor. Chill the dough before shaping in order to make sure the cookies hold their shape in the oven.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for German Vanilla Cookies.
1. Info for German Vanilla Cookies
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 949.29 kcal
2. Ingredients for German Vanilla Cookies
- 260 gr. flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 80 gr. superfine sugar
- 100 gr. almonds, crushed
- 200 gr. butter, cold and chopped
- vanilla extract
- 5 tbsps. superfine sugar
- 5 tbsps. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsps. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the flour in a large bowl and make a hole in the middle. In the hole, add the egg yolk, sugar, almonds, butter, a few drops of vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix using your hands until the dough is smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and shape into spheres. Flatten and shape into half moons.
- Place on an oven tray lined with parchment and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the sugars and vanilla and mix well.
- While still hot, cover the cookies with this mixture and serve.