Warm your kitchen this winter with this hearty lentil soup. This recipe requires few ingredients or effort — from start to finish, it’s ready to eat in less than an hour. Not only is it easy, but it also makes a tasty component of a delicious dinner and it travels well so you can bring it to work for lunch. Whatever time of day you choose to make it for, it’s a foolproof make-ahead meal that you won’t regret trying!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Hearty Lentil Soup.
1. Info for Hearty Lentil Soup
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 317.16 kcal
2. Ingredients for Hearty Lentil Soup
- 1 lb. bacon – sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 cup celery – chopped, with leaves
- 1 cup carrots – chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. lentils
- 3 quarts water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- bay leaf (optional)
- basil (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Cook bacon and garlic. Drain the fat thoroughly. Return the mixture to your stock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft but firm. If you want a creamy texture, puree half the soup in a blender and return to the pot.