Cheesecake is not typically associated with Japanese cuisine, however the Asian dessert is a combination of the best aspects of a cheesecake and a souffle. Light and fluffy, this recipe for Japanese Cheesecake is lightly flavored with lemon for citrus twist perfect for summertime. The cheesecake will need to be baked in a water bath for the beautifully fluffy end result. Serve this cake with your favorite fruit topping or jam, chopped nuts, or drizzle with caramel or fudge sauce for a delicious dessert.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Japanese Style Cheesecake.
1. Info for Japanese Style Cheesecake
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 385.47 kcal
2. Ingredients for Japanese Style Cheesecake
- 250 gr. cream cheese (you can use light cream cheese if you want)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 50 ml. milk
- 80 gr. sugar
- 30 gr. cornstarch
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Line a 20 centimeter cake pan with parchment paper.
- In an oven-proof dish large enough to hold the cake pan, cover the bottom with water.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and add in the water covered dish.
- Mix the cream cheese and milk together.
- Add in 50 grams of sugar, the egg yolks, cornstarch, lemon juice, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Separately, in a large bowl whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Then whisk in the remaining 30 grams of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold the egg yolks into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and introduce in the cake pan into the water-covered pan in the oven.
- Bake 25 minutes. Then shut off the oven and let sit in the heat another 10 minutes.
- Serve with jam or fresh berries on top.