Cocktail meatballs are a classic appetizer that everyone loves. Here, they get a healthy upgrade with high-fiber bulgur wheat and protein-rich turkey. But don’t worry: They keep their sweet-and-savory sauce, with a spicy kick. If you like, you can swap truRoots quinoa into the recipe, instead of the bulgur wheat.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Sriracha-Bulgur Turkey Cocktail Meatballs.
1. Info for Sriracha-Bulgur Turkey Cocktail Meatballs
- Cook Time: 2 hr 30 min
- Total Time: 2 hr 30 min
- Servings: 21
- Calories: 83.44 kcal
2. Ingredients for Sriracha-Bulgur Turkey Cocktail Meatballs
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion (1/2 small onion)
- 1lb. ground turkey thigh
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Smucker’s® Natural Concord Grape Fruit Spread
- 6 Tbs. ketchup
- 1-2 Tbs. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- Place the bulgur and water in a small saucepan. Cover securely with a lid, and set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat until the water is just simmering. Simmer until all the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and fluff the bulgur with a fork.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion. Sauté until translucent and lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer the onion to a large mixing bowl. Add the ground turkey, egg, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and cooked bulgur. Use a wooden spoon to mix until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the meat mixture from the refrigerator. Using a spoon and clean hands, shape the mixture into 42 meatballs, using about 2 tablespoons for each, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs on middle rack of oven until cooked through, 14-16 minutes. While the meatballs bake, prepare the sauce.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the grape fruit spread, ketchup, and sriracha. Set the pan over medium-low heat, and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer.
- Check to see that meatballs are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Once the sauce is simmering, carefully add the baked meatballs to the pan. Stir gently to evenly coat them in sauce, then remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped scallions if desired, and serve immediately.