This easy one-bowl meal has loads of flavor but relies on supermarket ingredients. The key player is gochujang, a Korean hot pepper paste that’s available in stores’ international aisle (as well as online). The seasoning paste lasts for months in the refrigerator, so you can keep it on hand — and keep the recipe in your weeknight rotation.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Korean Ground Turkey Rice Bowls.
1. Info for Korean Ground Turkey Rice Bowls
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 582.94 kcal
2. Ingredients for Korean Ground Turkey Rice Bowls
- 1 1/2 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 lb. small to medium zucchini
- 1/2 lb. cremini mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp. gochujang
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (for sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. water (for sauce)
- 1 lb. ground turkey (preferably thigh meat)
- 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (for turkey)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for turkey)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (for zucchini)
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for mushrooms)
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds (or white sesame seeds)
- 1/4 cup microgreens (or alfalfa sprouts)
- Toasted sesame oil (for serving)
Cook the rice with water according to package instructions. While the rice cooks, continue with recipe.
Trim ends off the zucchini. Halve them lengthwise, then slice crosswise into pieces about 1/2 inch thick. Rinse and drain the mushrooms and cut into quarters.
Mince the garlic. Whisk garlic, gochujang, applesauce, sesame oil, and water together in a small bowl until evenly blended. Add a few drops extra water if needed for a flowing texture.
In a 12-inch frying pan, cook the turkey with oil and salt over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until meat is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the sauce. Cook, stirring and breaking up any big chunks of turkey, until sauce is bubbling. Transfer turkey to a medium bowl, scraping out pan, and keep warm.
Pour the oil into frying pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until skin turns golden brown in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer zucchini to another medium bowl.
In the same pan, saute mushrooms over medium-high heat with the butter and salt until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Fill bowls with rice. Top with mushrooms, zucchini, and turkey. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and microgreens on top. Serve with sesame oil to drizzle over bowls to taste.