You’ll never miss the noodles in this hearty cheesy dish made with three cheeses and roasted cauliflower florets!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Super Cheesy Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese.
1. Info for Super Cheesy Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 0 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 0 Min
- Servings: 11
- Calories: 451.28 kcal
2. Ingredients for Super Cheesy Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar, divided
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, divided
- 4 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 lb. cauliflower florets
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 6 Tbs. (84 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (60 g) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp. mustard powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white or black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using a cheese grater or food processor fitted with a grating attachment, grate the Cheddar and Gruyere cheeses. Set aside.
- Transfer the grated cheese to a large bowl, and add the Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch florets.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to distribute the seasoning.
- Roast the cauliflower on middle rack of oven until it can be pierced with a fork, but is not tender, about 20 minutes.
- When cauliflower is done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once melted, add the flour and whisk to thoroughly combine. Continue whisking until the roux turns slightly golden and begins to smell toasty, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stream the milk into the pot while continuing to whisk. Cook the mixture, whisking steadily, until it begins to thicken and bubble, about 4 minutes.
- Once mixture thickens and bubbles, turn off the heat. Add the mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Add 3/4 of the cheese to the pot one handful at a time, whisking slowly after each addition. Reserve a generous 1 cup for topping.
- Once the sauce is smooth, add the roasted cauliflower to the pot. Stir until combined.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved cheese in an even layer over the top of the cauliflower.
- Bake cauliflower mac on middle rack of oven until the edges are bubbling and the top is lightly browned, 15-18 minutes
- Check to see that cauliflower mac is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow dish to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.