Everyone will be asking for your recipe after they try this creamy, cheesy cauliflower bake topped with buttery Parmesan breadcrumbs.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Three-Cheese Garlic Cauliflower Gratin.
1. Info for Three-Cheese Garlic Cauliflower Gratin
- Cook Time: 43 min
- Total Time: 43 min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 388.5 kcal
2. Ingredients for Three-Cheese Garlic Cauliflower Gratin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 lb. cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt, for cauliflower
- Black pepper (to taste, for cauliflower)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 oz. freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese (for sauce)
- 2 oz. freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for sauce)
- 1 pinch Black pepper (for sauce)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz. freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese (for top of dish)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for top of dish)
- Black pepper, to taste (for top of dish)
- 4 Tbsp. butter (melted, for top of dish)
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Chop the cauliflower into 1-inch florets. Arrange the florets on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Stir with rubber spatula to distribute the oil.
Roast the cauliflower on middle rack of oven until the oil is sizzling and the outsides of the florets are slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
Finely mince the garlic.
In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle the flour into the pot and whisk to thoroughly combine. Continue whisking until the roux turns slightly golden and begins to smell toasty, 1-2 minutes.
Slowly stream the milk into the pot while continuing to whisk. Cook the mixture, whisking steadily, until it begins to thicken and bubble, 4-5 minutes.
Once bubbling, turn off the heat. Add shredded cheddar, Gruyere cheese, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Whisk slowly until the cheeses are fully melted and the sauce is smooth.
Once the sauce is smooth, add the roasted cauliflower. Stir until the florets are thoroughly coated.
Pour the contents of the pot into the greased baking dish.
Place the bread crumbs, Parmesan, cheddar cheese, salt, and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a fork to combine. Add melted butter to the bowl, and stir until all the breadcrumbs are moistened. Sprinkle the crumbs in an even layer over the cauliflower.
Bake the gratin on middle rack of oven until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden brown, 18-22 minutes.
Check to see that gratin is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Allow gratin to rest for 10 minutes. Plate and serve.