I’ve been so inspired by all the delicious fall recipes floating around the internet lately!! I LOVE root veggies and winter squash so I’m getting excited about coming up with more of these great fall inspired recipes! Last night I realized that it was the first time I had used my oven in months!! I was so excited to fill the house with the smell of roasted sweet potatoes. There’s something so nostalgic about the smell of potaoes cooking in the oven on a cool autumn evening.
This delicious salad is loaded with superfoods and hearty enough to satisfy even the biggest appetites! From one of my favorite home reference books on nutrition “Healing With Whole Foods“, here are the health benefits of each of the ingredients of this superfood salad:
- Beets: excellent for heart health, circulation, acts as a blood purifier, supports healthy liver function, great for digestion, and hormones! Carrots + Beets are said to be great for menopause!
- Sweet Potatoes: natural detoxifier, supports the kidneys, rich in vitamin A, great for breast milk production in lactating women, and great for inflammation.
- Kale: great for the stomach and digestion, rich in minerals, eases lung congestion, great source of chlorophyll, calcium, iron, and vitamin A
- Quinoa: Rich in protein, strengthening for the whole body, supports kidneys, has more calcium than milk, excellent source of iron, phosphorous, B vitamins, and vitamin E.
- Avocado: great for healthy liver function, lungs, intestines, a natural source of lecithin (a brain food), contains easily digested fats, rich in copper which aids in red blood cell formation, great for nursing mothers, wonderful for skin, also used as a remedy for ulcers.
- Sweet Peas: support the spleen, pancreas, and stomach, great for digestion, support healthy liver function, also great for spasms, edema, constipation, and boils.
- Pine Nuts: lubricate the lungs and intestines, helpful with dizziness, dry cough, and constipation. Good source of vitamin E and essential fatty acids.
- Pumpkin Seeds: valuable source of zinc and omega 3 fatty acids, supports healthy urinary function, acts as a natural diuretic, can be used for motion sickness, nausea, impotency and swollen prostate.
- Arugula: rich in vitamins A, C, and K, supports mineral absorption
With all of these amazing health benefits, this is the perfect time to be eating this salad regularly! It’s your body’s first defense against cold and flu season!
1. Info for Superfood Salad Recipe for Weight Loss
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Superfood Salad Recipe for Weight Loss
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 large beets peeled and cubed
- 1 head of kale, ripped into tiny pieces
- 2 large handfuls of baby arugula
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (I used a mix of white, black, and red quinoa)
- 2 Tbs pine nuts
- 2 Tbs pumpkin seeds
- olive oil
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
3.1 For the quinoa
In a pot over medium heat, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa and a dash of sea salt and cook covered until all the moisture is absorbed, about 15mins. Remove from heat and keep covered.
3.2 For the roasted beets and sweet potatoes
Place veggies in a ziplock bag and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Seal the bag and shake ingredients until veggies are fully coated. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet lined with foil and roast for 35 to 40 minutes. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to flip your veggies about halfway through. Cook until vegetables are cooked through and slightly browned.
Layer all your ingredients in a large bowl and toss with fresh cracked pepper and a dash of your favorite vinaigrette dressing (mine is Garlic Expressions available at most grocery stores).