Let me start off by saying this photo is very misleading. The soup looks kind of “blah” and uninteresting but I promise it is SOOOO good! Especially with all the cold weather we’ve been having, this is a super healthy soup that’s warming, comforting and good for you!
I also love this soup because it something that you can throw together any night of the week using whatever you already have on hand in your pantry. I know most people usually think of “detoxing” in terms of following some kind complicated meal plan or supplement regimen but I’ve honestly found that eating simply and nutritiously is the BEST way to detox.
Eating an abundance of alkaline rich foods (think vegetables and greens) will detox the body and make you feel and look amazing too!
This soup is loaded with veggies but feel free to modify by using whatever you already have on hand: broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, peas, green beans, spinach, kale, and turnips would also be lovely additions to this soup.
1. Info for Quinoa and Black Bean Detox Soup
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Servings: 7
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Quinoa and Black Bean Detox Soup
- 2 quarts chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 16 ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 16 ounce can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into slices
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into slices
- 5 large carrots, peeled and into slices
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbs whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbs Adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced onion flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 avocados and 3-4 sprigs parsley as garnish
- Place a large pot or dutch oven over med-high heat. Add a dash of olive oil, diced onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent (about 5-7 minutes).
- Then add zucchini, yellow squash, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, spices, whole grain mustard, and water. Stir, and taste, adding more sea salt as needed.
- Next add drained black beans and quinoa. Cover and cook another 20-30 mins or until veggies and quinoa are fully cooked.
- Serve piping hot and garnish each bowl with avocado slices and chopped parsley. Serve with toasted Ezekiel bread (you can find it in the freezer section at your local health food store) and viola! A super healthy, low cal, gluten free, dairy free soup that has wonderful flavor and will soothe the soul on a cold winter day.
4. Tips and advices:
- You can also make this paleo friendly by using shredded chicken or cubed beef instead of the beans and quinoa.