I have been wanting to make really good homemade biscuits for years. But I am weak and Bisquick (or the equivalent) is so convenient. So all of this time, I have made cheater biscuits. Milk and a mix. And I have eaten them with gusto. I have a pretty big weakness for biscuits of any sort. In Arizona, when someone would propose that we to go out and get burgers for the family, I would often ask them to swing by KFC and pick me up a biscuit instead. Then I moved to Florida and discovered Popeyes’ biscuits. Oh the calories!
It seemed pretty important that as a new resident of a Southern state, I learn to make my own biscuits. Thick and flaky ones that soak up butter like a sponge; that’s what I was aiming for. I failed numerous times with recipes that had 5 stars. I was thinking that it was me~that I was biscuit challenged. Then I discovered self-rising flour. My mother never used self-rising flour, so I naturally never have bought it. How deprived I have been and I have not even known it!!
For whatever reason, using self rising flour allowed me to achieve the biscuits I have been craving. Luckily for my hips, this recipe cooks the biscuits hot and fast (500 degrees F!) and my oven tends to really, really heat up the house. The correlation? In Florida, on a 75 degree December day, we don’t want a hot house, so I cannot have biscuits. These will have to wait for the refreshing, but few 60 degree days. I look forward to January!
(adapted slightly from My Southern Food )
1. Info for Biscuits recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Biscuits recipe
- 2 cups self rising flour
- Turn on oven to 500 degrees (F).
- Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the milk slowly, mixing it into a soft dough.
- Roll it out to ½ inch thick and cut with an upside down glass or a fancy biscuit cutter.
- Try to get as many of them out of the first rolling as you can.
- The more you work with the dough, the tougher the biscuits will be.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.