Lemon Loaf Cake is a sweet and sour quick bread that can serve as dessert, breakfast or snack.
One day, a few years after I married my husband, he mentioned how much he’d like a slice of his sister’s lemon cake. It was the first time I had heard that his sister even had a lemon cake. What was this delectable sounding concoction of which my husband was dreaming? I immediately wrote a letter to my sister-in-law asking for the recipe. I am old enough and have been married long enough that snail mail was the “in” way to communicate back then. Once I got my hot little hands on the recipe, this Lemon Loaf Cake quickly became a staple in our dessert line-up.
This week is the anniversary of my husband asking me to marry him. Twenty-seven years ago we officially got engaged. We had a whirlwind courtship and have had an amazing, crazy ride through life together. It seemed fitting that to celebrate this pre-anniversary anniversary that I would post one of my husband’s favorite treats.
This loaf is sweet and tart all at the same time. The loaf itself is all sweetness, but right after it is done baking, it gets drenched in a lemon juice/sugar bath. The liquid soaks in, creating those sour notes that separate this cake from the hum drum. You can slice it, dunk it, eat it whatever way you want.
1. Info for Lemon Loaf Cake
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Lemon Loaf Cake
- 1 medium lemon
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- (2 Tbsp powdered sugar for glaze)
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the sugar.
- Zest the lemon.
- Chop the zest into small pieces.
- Mix the butter, applesauce, zest, eggs and milk in large mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Stir, just to combine.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Combine the juice of the lemon with the powdered sugar in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the syrup over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let it soak and cool down for at least 30 minutes before serving.