The potato is one of the most popular side dishes on Earth. So many recipes call for boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes or to achieve other potato states. Despite the simplicity of the task, many people don’t know how to boil potatoes to turn out delicious and crumbly properly.
What to do if there is very little time to prepare dinner, and you need to boil potatoes as quickly as possible? If you are not once in this situation, a few ideas from this article, how to boil potatoes rapidly, will come in handy.
First, you should peel the tubers and cut out all unnecessary parts in the form of black dots. Then, if desired, you can also cut each potato into several pieces.
1. Different ways to cook potatoes
There are different ways to cook potatoes, for example, in a pot, multicooker, or microwave. Each one is correct, and you can choose one or the other depending on your personal preferences. A brief guide to each unique way to cook potatoes can be found below.
2. Cook potatoes on the stove
In order to boil peeled potatoes in a pot, it is imperative to pick tubers of the same size. If they are different sizes, they must be cut in half. In addition, it is essential to wash, peel and pour cold water over the potatoes before boiling.
Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into medium-sized pieces. Put the potato pieces in a large pot and fill them with cold water. Cover and bring to boil.
Then add salt, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-18 minutes. Once the potatoes are soft, drain the excess water and return them to the pot. Add ingredients or seasonings according to the recipe. Serve and enjoy!
3. Cooking potatoes in the microwave oven
This method is ideal for cooking potatoes for various side dishes and salads. In addition, if you are in a hurry or have little time this method is also suitable. Cut the peeled potatoes into small cubes, add spices and salt and place them in a plastic bag.
After that, the bag should be tightly tied and make a couple of holes in it so that the air goes out. The bag with potatoes should be placed in the microwave for 10 minutes at full power. Finally, the readiness of potatoes should be carefully checked with a skewer.
4. Cooking potatoes in the multicooker
For preparation in the multicooker, potatoes should be the same size as in the previous times. After washing and peeling, place the potatoes in the multicooker and pour water so that it completely covers them.
You can select the mode “Soup,” That way, you will definitely save 5 minutes. When the potatoes are soft enough to be pierced easily with a fork, they are ready to serve.
5. How to cook potatoes to make mashed potatoes
It would seem that there are usually no difficulties in making mashed potatoes. However, even a simple process has its subtleties. Furthermore, it is worth remembering that mashed potatoes should preferably be made with a potato variety with many starches. The potatoes should be peeled with a vegetable peeler, trying to cut the skin as thinly as possible.
Below you will find a step-by-step guide on how to make mashed potatoes:
- Peel potatoes, cut large tubers into several pieces. Then put them into a pot and pour water to cover the potatoes; salt the water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Further, you need to boil the potatoes for 20 minutes or so. At the same time, you should check the potatoes for readiness. The best way to do it right is to pierce it with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain off the excess water and put them back in the pot.
- Next, you need to use a potato press to turn it into a mashed potato. This should be relatively easy if you boil it long enough. As soon as you get the mashed potatoes, you can add additional ingredients or seasonings to taste.
Mashed potatoes have long gained worldwide recognition and love. It is a tremendous nutritious dish that helps cope with hunger. Sometimes spices, herbs, vegetables, or meat are added to mashed potatoes.
As part of this product, many starch, protein, vitamins A, E, C, B1, B2, PP, fiber, and essential minerals can be found. In addition, different ingredients can infinitely complement such a product, obtaining an original taste.