Gosh, where does the time go?! I can’t believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner! I know the holidays can be a challenging time when it comes to staying on track with healthy eating. So over the next week, I’ll be posting delicious cleaned up Thanksgiving recipes that the whole family will enjoy! I am a FIRM believer that food should taste GOOD. I know most people think that changing their diet also means that they have to sacrifice the things they love and that couldn’t be further from the truth!! My approach makes it very simple to eat healthy, lose weight, and enjoy doing it!
This mashed potato recipe is delicious, comforting, and filling. It’s also low fat, dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and paleo approved!
I added lots of flavorful herbs and garlic, all of which have great health benefits! From my favorite at-home resource book, Healing With Whole Foods here are the health benefits of each.
- Garlic: promotes healthy cardiovascular function, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, promotes the growth of healthy intestinal flora, natural detoxifier.
- Parsley: improves digestion, natural detoxifier, excellent for supporting healthy kidney function, improves urinary function, strengthens the adrenal glands (natural stress reliever anyone?!), benefits the eyes, supports brain function, cancer preventative, high source of vitamin A, vitamin C, chlorophyll, calcium, sodium, magnesium, and iron.
- Dill: antibacterial, protects against free radicals and cancer causing agents, good source of calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- Chives: supports liver and kidneys, improves circulation, great for bruises and swelling, strengthens digestion, improves urinary function.
- Green Onion: healthy heart function, promotes detoxification, supports the immune system, antifungal, antimicrobial, good for swelling such as edema, supports healthy digestion.
I bet you had no idea how many health benefits were bottled up in these simple herbs! With the addition of these herbs a simple mashed potato dish turns into major health food just like that!
1. Info for Healthy Garlic and Herb Smashed Potatoes
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Healthy Garlic and Herb Smashed Potatoes
- 3lbs red potatoes, diced
- herbs of choice – I used parsley, dill, chives, and green onions chopped very fine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs organic grass fed butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- sea salt & pepper
- Over med-high heat, fill a large pot or dutch oven almost to the top with sea salted water. Add potatoes and let cook until soft, about 15mins.
- While the potatoes are cooking. Melt your butter in a small sauce pan and add minced garlic. Cook for just a minute or so until garlic is fragrant then remove from heat.
- When your potatoes are done cooking drain the excess water from the pot. Then add butter, garlic, almond milk, sea salt and pepper to taste and use a stick blender to process the ingredients until desired texture is achieved. You could also use a food processor or potato masher. If you like your potatoes extra smooth then blend longer, if you like a “chunkier” style mashed potato then stop when desired texture is achieved.
- Finally, use a large wooden spoon to stir in your chopped herbs and add sea salt & pepper as needed to taste.
- Serve in a large baking dish and enjoy the herby, garlicky goodness and all the health benefits to go with it!