Ginger rice tea drink is our natural way to treat the beginning of a cold. On top of being delicious, the drink contains all the ingredients that are taught of as healing in Asian culture. I thickened the drink using the starch from rice and flavored it with fresh ginger, honey and turmeric.
If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you’ve probably noticed that my husband Lulu and I have been traveling quite a bit. We were in Las Vegas last week and we left last Saturday for to go to Texas. Lulu felt a little under the weather, so just before leaving I concocted this delicious ginger drink so he could be completely energized for our next trip. I’m certainly no doctor, but at the very least it cheered him up!
1. Info for Medicinal Tea Recipe (Natural Cold Remedy Drink)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Medicinal Tea Recipe (Natural Cold Remedy Drink)
- 3 tablespoons sweet round rice (or any other rice)
- 6 cups water
- 1 (4-inch) chunk fresh ginger, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup creamy honey, to taste
- Prepping ginger: Clean the ginger root and remove any dirt. Peel the ginger root with a paring knife (or the edge of a spoon). Grate about 2 tablespoons of ginger with a fine mesh Microplane. Thinly slice the rest.
- Making the tea drink: Wash and thoroughly rinse the rice in several water baths (about three times).
- Fill a small pot with water. Bring to a boil. Add the rice, the ginger slices and the grated ginger. Bring the liquid back to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to a gentle boil. Cook for about 30 minutes at a gentle simmer. Keep stirring the rice every now and then so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- The liquid should be a little thickened. Sweeten with honey. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- You could add more water depending how thick you would like the drink.
- Remove and discard some of the rice and ginger slices. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve if you like (I didn’t).
- Serve warm or chilled.