This pumpkin cornbread is so delicious, I promise, once you try it, this will become a staple for your Thanksgiving meal. There are a few key ingredients that make this cornbread sensational: pumpkin of course, buttermilk, brown sugar and semolina. I did use cornmeal but the semolina gives a little oomph to the texture and a nice crunchy outer layer.
You’ve probably noticed I’ve been baking a lot these days. The only downside to baking so much is I have all the girls staring at the oven, complaining and asking every minute when it’s going to be ready. They end up not being able to focus on their homework because an intoxicating, Thanksgiving smell permeates every single room of our house!
1. Info for Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe
- ¼ cup coarse corn meal (polenta)
- ¾ cup semolina
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup rosemary olive oil (or regular EVOO)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups pumpkin purée (15-ounce can)
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Making the cornbread batter: Apply about 1 tablespoon of butter to a non-stick (9½-inch) round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until you get a pale yellow foam; the texture of the egg yolk will be thicker. Add the flour, coarse corn meal, semolina flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder and salt. Wet the mixture with the pumpkin purée and buttermilk. Add the melted butter and rosemary olive oil (see tips). Stir well until smooth and wet. For a light result, do not over-mix. Add 5 tablespoons light brown sugar and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the cake pan. Even out the surface (I simply spin the mold a little and the centrifugal force evens the batter out to the edges). Sprinkle the top with 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. Rotate the pan for even baking and bake for 10-12 more minutes. A knife inserted into the cornbread should come out clean. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!