Over the Christmas holidays, my sister in law celebrated a birthday. I told her to pick out whatever meal she wanted for that night’s celebration. She chose this cake for dessert. It is one my mom started making when I was a little girl. I have so many memories of her bringing a frozen cake out of the freezer for dessert. I loved eating the cake and frosting when they were almost thawed, but still cold and firm. This was the only way I would ever eat anything made with a banana. Somehow the thick frosting and spices covered the banana flavor enough for this banana hater.
It’s delicious fresh, too. Spicy and incredibly moist, topped with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting this is one of the best ways of using up over-ripe bananas. For a 9X13 pan, I used six bananas. It is a really thick cake.
1. Info for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 well mashed bananas
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add.
- Add the bananas last.
- Pour into a greased 9 X 9 pan and bake 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until done. (The center of this cake always sinks just a bit when it’s done….it’s okay)
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until well combined.
- Beat in the vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Spread on a completely cooled cake.
- Keep cake in the refrigerator.
- You may freeze this cake.
- Put waxed paper over the frosting and then wrap the entire pan in foil.