Last week was all sweet, so I thought I would throw in a few savory dishes before this Thursday’s Oatmeal Raisin Improv which is sure to be filled with some more sweetness. This is another recipe inspired by my Southern Living books. My whole family is big on barbecue nowadays. We cannot go to the movies or shopping or even to the post office without passing a barbecue restaurant. Those restaurants put out the most amazing smells. I swear it’s part of their advertising. How can anyone resist that tantalizing aroma of meat being cooked??
It’s no wonder that I have a 32 ounce bottle of locally made barbecue sauce in my fridge, right? Half of my kids put it on everything from french fries to eggs. The other half put Ranch dressing on everything. So when I came across a salad that combined the two I knew I’d have a winner.
I had to change a few things to make this gluten free. The first was to lose the blue cheese and replace it with feta. Don’t get me started on how disturbed I am to have lost the flavor of blue cheese forever. But that’s a rant for another day. I also had to make sure the Ranch dressing I used was gluten free. Not all are, either in recipe or the facilities in which they are processed, so read the label if it matters.
The salad was a big hit with the whole family. We tend to love dinner salads. In fact, I should make them more often seeings how well received they always are. Now that the weather is getting slightly cooler, though, I am more likely to be cranking up the soup kettle.
1. Info for Barbecue Ranch Chef Salad
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Barbecue Ranch Chef Salad
- 2 10 ounce bags prepared salad greens
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 16 ounce bottle Ranch dressing
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- In a small bowl, combine Ranch dressing and barbecue sauce.
- Set aside.
- Toss remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve with dressing on the side.
- Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired.
- Keep leftovers in the refrigerator.