Many people like a little ice cream next to their cake, so I decided to put a little cake inside this ice cream.
No cake is complete without a little frosting in my house, so when I decided to put chunks of cake inside ice cream, I figured I might just as well go all out and put little disks of frozen frosting in, too. I was worried that the frosting would freeze too hard, so I added a little extra vanilla extract to it. The alcohol in the extract kept the frosting soft even when it was frozen.
The reviews from the family were: the frosting bits were brilliant, but the cake got a little soggy. Next time, I will add frozen brownie bites instead. Brownies seem to have a better structural integrity that would stand up to ice cream.
1. Info for “Cake and Ice Cream” Ice Cream
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for “Cake and Ice Cream” Ice Cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tsp vanilla, divided
- dash salt
- 2 frozen chocolate cupcakes (or a 6″X6″ square of brownies) cut into small cubes
- up to 1 cup prepared chocolate frosting
- A day before you make the ice cream, combine the chocolate frosting and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Pipe it into 20 1 inch disks on a baking sheet.
- Freeze for at least 12 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the heavy cream, 1 tsp vanilla and dash of salt.
- Pour into an ice cream freezer and churn according to manufacturer’s directions.
- When ice cream is done, but not frozen hard, fold in cake or brownie cubes and frosting disks.
- Finish freezing until hard.