Chicken kebabs are both healthy and nutritious. The poultry is mixed with garbanzo beans and seasoned with Indian spices. I usually make this recipe when I have leftover chicken. We had company for dinner so I decided to make a complete meal out of them and serve them as burgers. I double-stacked 2 patties with tomato slices, cilantro, fresh mint, raita (Indian yogurt sauce), red onion and fried shallots.
The weather is getting clearer and sunnier by the day, so next time you think of a barbecue, you should consider making chicken shami kebabs (that’s the real name of the dish). If you’re planning a fancy dinner party, you could serve them as tapas. Bite-size burgers are getting very popular. Either way, you should definitely try this fresh take on an American classic.
1. Info for Chicken Kebab Burger
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 205.2kcal
2. Ingredients for Chicken Kebab Burger
- 1/3 cup chana dal (see tips)
- 1-¼ cups water
- 2-½ pounds chicken (see tips), pre-cooked and shredded
- ¼ cup caramelized onions (see tips)
- 2 raw red onions
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter), melted
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1/3 cup ground almonds (see tips)
- 1 Anaheim green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1-¼ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup canola oil, as needed
- 2 shallots, sliced and fried
- 6 hamburger buns
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup raita
- 2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
- ¼ cup coarse-grain mustard
- Prepping the chana dal: In a bowl wash the chana dal thoroughly. Pick out and discard any badly-shaped beans, then soak them for at least 30 minutes. Drain as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a small pot, combine the soaked chana dal, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil (I used garlic-infused oil). Add water; the water should cover the lentils entirely. Bring to a boil then lower to a gentle simmer for 45-50 minutes. Add 1-½ teaspoons of salt half-way through the cooking process (it will bring out the natural flavor of the lentils and the lentils will be more tender) and keep stirring every now and then so the lentils don’t stick to the bottom of the pot. The liquid should have evaporated. Remove any liquid (if any).
- Check doneness: The chana dal should be soft when it’s gently pressed and crushed between your thumb and index finger.
- Slice one of the red onions and finely chop the other one.
- Lightly oil the bowl of a food processor with a silicone brush. Combine the shredded chicken, chana dal, turmeric powder, ground almonds, garam masala, Anaheim peppers, 2 tablespoons of mint, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, ground cumin, raw very finely chopped red onions and remaining yogurt. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. Blend until a smooth paste is formed. Add ¼ cup of water for a smoother flow (if necessary). You could also add more yogurt.
- Checking the seasoning: In a small pan, heat about 1 teaspoon of canola oil. Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes. Taste the meat. Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Finish by adding the melted ghee.
- In a bowl, combine the raita, tahini (if used) and mustard. Set aside.
- Grease disposable gloves with oil (just as you would for Indian cutlets). Form 12 round patties and place them on a tray. Chill them in the freezer for about 1 hour (this step will make the cooking of the patties much easier).
- Remove the patties from the freezer. Brush the patties with a little oil.
- Brush a grill pan with the remaining canola oil. Grill all the hamburger buns. Transfer to a platter.
- On the same grill pan, place the patties. Cook for about 3-4minutes on each side until there is a nicely browned crust. Make grilling marks on the patty on both sides. Transfer to a platter. Drizzle the patties with lemon juice.
- Spread burger sauce on each bun. Stack a chicken burger, some greens (cilantro and mint), red onion slices, tomato and another chicken burger and fried shallots. Finish with the top of the bun.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!