This chili cheese bake is a yummy, frugal meatless main dish. Beans and rice are a classic combination. You can add chicken or beef if you want, but without, this is still a hearty dish. It also makes a great side to other Mexican dishes like tacos or enchiladas.
Do you eat many meatless dishes? Although I love meat, I would like to eat meatless meals a few times a week. Notice I said”would.” The hubs is a devote meat eater and has raised the kids to be the same way. Meatless has to be mighty flavorful in order for them not to riot. Luckily, this Chili Cheese Bake fits the bill. The beans are “meaty” enough and the rice is plenty filling. With spices and lots of cheese, this is a great dish to slide by the meat eaters.
One other option with this recipe is to treat it as a filling for corn tortillas. Instead of baking it plain, spoon 2 Tbsp of the rice-bean-cheese mixture into softened corn tortillas. Lay them out in a greased 9X13 pan. Top it with salsa and more cheese. Bake covered for about 30 minutes. Take off the foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
You can also serve this on a bed of lettuce with sour cream, tomatoes and guacamole. Fancy it up as much as you want, or leave it like I did. I fly by the seat of my pants some nights for dinner. Nights like that, the family is lucky to have a home-cooked meal.
1. Info for Chili Cheese Bake
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chili Cheese Bake
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15oz can chili ready beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a greased 2 quart casserole dish, combine all ingredients except cheese.
- Top with 1½ cups cheese.
- Bake, covered (remember to grease your foil to prevent cheese from sticking!) 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese, then baked uncovered for 10 more minutes.