Have you ever wondered why store bought corned beef is so PINK? It’s the nitrates; salt peter to the pioneers. You do NOT want to know how they used to make it. I still have not figured out what possessed someone to do it in the first place. Who looks at a pile of animal waste and wonders how it might preserve their meat??
If you “corn” your own meat, you get a normal colored roast that is really tasty, without the chemicals. My family has been making this recipe since the 1980s, when my mom found this recipe in a newspaper. It takes a little planning, so I am giving it to you a week before St. Patrick’s Day…just in case you want to make it for the holiday.
1. Info for Corn Your Own Beef
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Corn Your Own Beef
- 4lb beef roast
- 3 Tbs pickling spices
- ⅓ cup salt
- Combine the spices and rub all over the roast.
- Put in a NON metal dish, cover with water and cover.
- Put in fridge for at least 48 hours.
- Turn it periodically, say every 8 hours or so.
- Remove from brine and rinse.
- Bake 2 hours at 325 degrees.
- Use a meat thermometer if you have one to make sure of done-ness.
- It should read 160 degrees.
- OR: Boil in a big pan with cabbage and carrots for 4 hours on medium low.