This recipe came to me via a college roommate. She was two years older than me and seemed so much more ready to settle down and be a homemaker. While I was cowering at the very thought of using yeast, she was fearlessly whipping up homemade bread, rolls and these lovelies. Now, a few decades later, I have conquered my fear of yeast and can confidently make these myself. I still hold Margene on a homemaking pedestal, though. She was bottling food at the age of 19!!
Now, you can follow this recipe if you have conquered your fear of yeast, too. However, if you have yet to climb that mountain, I will let you in on a little shortcut/secret. I have made these with store bought pizza dough before and they turned out quite good. So, if you have access to freshly made dough in your deli or bakery section, that’s an option for a quick weekend breakfast. Simply use the shaping technique with the filling instructions and Presto Chango, you will be looked upon as a fearless yeast user, even if you (ahem) aren’t.
1. Info for Cinnamon Twists
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 327 kcal
2. Ingredients for Cinnamon Twists
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 packages yeast
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 6½ cups flour
- filling: ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- glaze: ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp water or milk
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon.
- When the yeast begins to bubble, add the eggs and then beat in the flour.
- Knead with mixer or by hand.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 45 minutes).
- Roll into a large rectangle.
- Pour ¼ cup melted butter all over the rectangle.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the butter.
- Fold the top third of the dough over the middle.
- Fold the bottom third over the middle.
- Cut into ½ inch strips.
- Twist and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Cover and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Bake 375 degrees for 14 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients and frost OR serve with a little cup of glaze to dip!