This is one of the foods I think of when I remember my youth. Sometime in the late 1970s, my mom entered a maple syrup recipe contest. She came up with this recipe for amazing fried chicken. She won some real maple syrup and a plaque with her name on it. The secret to the flavor of this dish is the marinade of course. By “soaking” the chicken before frying it, a completely new dimension is added.
1. Info for Northern Woods Fried Chicken
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Northern Woods Fried Chicken
- 2 fryers, cut up or 16 pieces of chicken
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- Combine the egg, maple syrup, soy sauce, green onions and garlic powder.
- Add the chicken and let marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and dredge the chicken in it.
- Fry a few pieces at a time in oil of your choice.
- Do not turn until completely done on one side.
- You only want to turn fried chicken once or you risk the coating falling off.
- After turning, partially cover the pan like so.
- When the first batch is done, place on a wire rack over a baking sheet to drain. Place in a warm oven to stay crisp and warm while you are cooking the remaining chicken.