(this post originally aired in April 09, but without pictures)
After my sister in law was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, we received a huge box of Jell-o, ice cream syrups, candies, puddings and other sugar filled things from her house. It was an attempt to remove the temptation so she could get her diet under control. My kids ate a ton of just plain Jell-o, but I also tried to get a little fancy, too.
This is where I say how very wonderful I think the internet is. I just did an internet search for jell-o and yellow cake mix and Voila! at least 3 different ways to use it appeared on my screen. This is the one I chose. It’s a step away from the traditional poke cakes and it totally works for me! The kids loved the flavor, I loved the redeeming fact that there was actual fruit in the cake.
1. Info for Fresh Strawberry Jell-O Cake
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Fresh Strawberry Jell-O Cake
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 1 6oz pkg strawberry Jell-O
- dash of salt
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, thawed and drained (keep juice for frosting)
- 3 eggs
- dash salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Combine cake mix and jell-o.
- Add strawberries (drained) Add oil, water and eggs, beat 5 minutes.
- Bake in 2 layers, 350 degrees for 30 minutes(LINE PANS WITH WAX PAPER)
- Combine butter, salt and juice.
- Beat in sugar a cup at a time until until smooth and a good spreading consistency.
- When cake is cooled, spread filling in between layers and on the top.