It’s a PUMPKIN PARTY everywhere you look on the internet lately! I love pumpkin, I mean, who doesn’t?! The thing I don’t love, however, is all the sugar and carbs!! I know the holiday season can be challenging for many people because of the abundance of yummy baked goods. In my personal experience, sugar and grains are the biggest inhibitors to weight loss. Sugar being #1. Sugar is also the #1 worst thing for your skin so if you’re having skin issues like persistent breakouts, dryness, rashes, etc. now is the time to cut out the sugar! The only exception is dry, cracking skin which is usually a B12 deficiency and can be remedied with a simple B Vitamin complex. Other signs that you need to cut sugar out of your diet:
- brain fog
- chronic fatigue, constantly feeling tired, waking up still feeling tired
- constant sugar or starch cravings
- irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
- skin issues; acne, rashes, psoriasis, eczema
- digestive issues, IBS, bloating, gas, constipation, or diarrhea
- nail fungus
- weight gain or inability to lose weight
- chronic yeast infections
- sleep issues
- trouble focusing, concentrating
We all know by now that too much sugar is not good for you. But why is it so bad? From quickanddirtytips and Janet Hull here are 5 of the top reasons why sugar is a no-no:
- Sugar suppresses the immune system.
- Sugar promotes inflammation.
- Sugar promotes glycation.
- Sugar raises insulin levels.
- Sugar feeds Candida.
If those 5 reasons aren’t enough to get you off sugar I don’t know what is! Candida especially, is a biggie. If you’ve got digestive issues, persistent allergies, skin issues, yeast infections, thrush, intense cravings, trouble focusing, an inability to lose weight, or extreme mood swings, candida is probably to blame and sugar is the main culprit.
The ONE simple thing you can do to begin transforming your health is to get off all sugars, especially artificial sweeteners. My go-to as a sugar replacement is NuNaturals Stevia. NuNaturals stevia is a pure plant extract, not a chemical. It tastes great and comes in several different forms from liquids, powder, flavored stevia, quick dissolve tabs, to packets so it’s easy to take with you. I noticed a HUGE shift in my health when I switched to stevia and reduced my sugar intake. It also helped me clear my skin and lose those last few stubborn pounds that I couldn’t get rid of…yay for clear skin and weight loss!
You also want to make sure that you choose the right kind of sugar-free sweetener as they are not all created equal!
Stay away from these impostors, they are all crap!! That’s right, I said crap!!
- Truvia and PureVia – Truvia is NOT stevia and it’s NOT natural!! Don’t be fooled by misleading marketing!!
- Artificial Sweeteners – I always assume that this goes without saying but I’m still shocked (and horrified) by how many people use artificial sweeteners! Splenda, Sweet & Low, Equal, and the like are all loaded with toxic ingredients most noteably aspartame which has been directly linked to serious health issues such as tumors, cancer, birth defects, cognitive dysfunction, weight gain, and more. Please do yourself a favor and NEVER EVER use an artificial sweetener again!!
- Agave – You may be shocked to learn that Agave is not as wonderful as you thought! Briefly: “Agave syrup (nectar) is not listed on the inventory of foods generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.”
Just stick to good old fashioned stevia, folks. Look at the label if it doesn’t say stevia, don’t buy it!
Ok, so back to the pumpkin bars!
These fabulous pumpkin bars are:
- super healthy
- super delicious!!
I hope this recipe inspires you to get creative in the kitchen and to start experimenting with stevia if you haven’t already!
You’ll NEVER believe that these delicious pumpkin bars are sugar-free and grain-free! Enjoy the delicious taste without the guilt! Removing most sugars from my diet was one of the best things I could have done for my health and I know you will reap the same benefits by doing the same!
1. Info for Grain Free Sugar Free Pumpkin Bars with Coconut Whipped Cream
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Servings: 7
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Grain Free Sugar Free Pumpkin Bars with Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can (15oz) organic pumpkin puree
- 1 cup raw almond butter
- 4 Tbs NuNaturals stevia baking blend
- 6 droppers of vanilla stevia
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 2 Tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice
- pinch of sea salt
- For the icing: 1 can of full fat coconut milk, vanilla stevia, cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except the coconut milk and cinnamon together.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish. Cook for 30min or until a fork can be stuck into the middle and removed cleanly.
- For the icing:
- Refrigerate the canned coconut overnight. It is essential for the coconut to be cold in order to whip properly!
- Scoop out only the white creamy flesh from the top of the can into a large mixing bowl. It is very important to leave ALL of the clear liquid at the bottom as it will inhibit the whipping process. You can save the liquid and add to your smoothies later.
- Using a handheld or stand up mixer blend the coconut flesh, infusing as much air as possible. The air + the fat is what makes it fluff! Keep blending until the mixture has doubled in size and has a consistency like whipped cream! Then add your stevia, mix again to combine and you’re done!
- Top your pumpkin bars with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy!!