I love all the fresh produce that’s back in season now and raw veggie dishes sound so perfect for any meal on a hot summer day. In addition to Asian flavors, I’ve also been loving SPICY food so I made this dressing extra spicy!
I bought almost all the ingredients for this salad at Trader Joe’s. I love that they have pre washed and cut/shredded bags of veggies and salad. It just makes life sooooo much easier!! The great thing about this salad is that you can use any veggies you want: broccoli slaw, shredded carrots, kale, shredded cabbage, bell peppers, avocado, cucumber, zucchini, tomatoes, you name it!
This is such a wonderful salad that you have anytime. It’s also a great make-ahead dish that you can serve to dinner guests! The flavor is wonderful and only gets better with time!
If you like, you can add some extra density to this salad with a clean protein like grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp, or grass fed steak. If you are meat-free, quinoa would be a lovely addition.
You can have this salad any time as a lunch, dinner meal, side dish, or even a yummy mid-day snack. This recipe is:
- gluten free
- dairy free
- low sugar
- low carb
- low cal
- low fat
- raw vegan
That means almost anyone can enjoy it, no matter their dietary restrictions! I doubled the recipe and made a HUGE batch to last through the weekend (I ALWAYS make larger portions so that I have leftovers for the next few days. It’s just not realistic for me to make meals from scratch every day. Having leftovers ensures that I always have healthy options ready to eat! You should try it too, makes healthy eating so much easier!). Remember, this recipe is open to interpretation and you can use any veggies you like. I think once my avocados ripen, I’ll add them to the mix as well!
1. Info for Spicy Raw Thai Salad
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Spicy Raw Thai Salad
- 3 Tbs finely minced ginger (I peeled fresh ginger and used this hand held food processor to mince – You can also do it by hand but I find this process much faster and easier!)
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs Almond Butter
- 2 Tbs Hoisin sauce (I like this brand best, you can usually find it in the Asian section at your grocery store)
- 1 Tbs Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Spicy Chili Oil (optional but I had it on hand and knew it would make a great addition!)
- 1 tsp Sriracha or more if you like it spicy!
- 1 dash of stevia to taste – also a dollop of honey or maple syrup could work
- 3 chopped green onions, green and white parts
- 2 Tbs chopped chives (optional but use ’em if you got ’em!)
- red & orange bell peppers cut into strips
- Cruciferous Crunch kale salad from Trader Joe’s. You could also use shredded cabbage + shredded kale if you can’t find the mix in your area.
- broccoli slaw, also from Trader Joe’s
- shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1.5 cups frozen edamame, thawed
- Thai Lime & Chili Cashews – roughly chopped, also from TJ’s
- 2 Tbs chopped chives as garnish – again this is optional but highly recommended since it gives great flavor!
- In a small mason jar with lid add tamari, vinegar, minced ginger, almond butter, stevia, olive oil, hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, chili oil, sriracha, sea salt, chopped green onions, and chives. . Secure the lid and shake vigorously. Set aside. (I doubled the recipe so I would have lots of leftover dressing. I am obsessed with this stuff and love it on salads, over quinoa, as a veggie dip, or as a chicken/fish marinade!)
- Next, place all your chopped veggies with enough dressing to coat into a large plastic bag, seal, and shake vigorously until well incorporated. Adjust amount of dressing as needed.
- Garnish with chopped chives and thai chili lime cashews.
- Pour into bowls or onto plates and enjoy!!