We were given a bag of this from a neighbor years ago. I fell in love with the first bite. I did not, however, find the recipe for years. It was a burr in my shoe that I couldn’t find it. Then, one day, I was reading through a cookbook and Shazaam! I found myself reading this very recipe. I made it for all of my friends that following Christmas. We were given another bag of these goodies this year. It was gone in half an hour.
As you can tell from the photo, I used pecans instead of almonds one year. I won’t ever go back. The pecans were softer and reminded us of pecan pie. I have seen this called Who Hash, Christmas Crack, or Sweet Chex Mix. No matter what the name, it’s addictive and wonderful. Make sure you keep it in an air tight container because if you live in a humid climate, it will get mushy and if you live in a dry climate, it will get hard.
1. Info for Holiday Snack: Sweet Chex Mix with Almonds
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Holiday Snack: Sweet Chex Mix with Almonds
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12oz box Rice Chex (or Corn Chex or a combo)
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 7oz pkg. slivered almonds or pecan halves
- Mix corn syrup, butter, sugar and salt in a microwave-proof bowl.
- Microwave until boiling.
- Remove, stir and cook 2 more minutes. It should be boiling vigorously by now.
- Add baking soda, then vanilla.
- Stir well.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine cereal, coconut and almonds.
- Pour sauce over cereal mixture and stir until well coated.
- Spread out on a greased jelly roll pan.
- When cool, break up and place either in bowl to eat immediately or zip-loc bags to (save until no one else is around) give away to your friends.