This week, it’s cream cheese. It was on my list for next fall, but after last week’s 13 schmears, I thought I’d move it up. My personal verdict: buy it when it’s on sale and stock up. However, now I have a new life skill. If I had access to a cow or cream at a really good rate, perhaps I’d make it again.
1. Info for Homemade Cream Cheese
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Cream Cheese
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1½ Tbsp lemon juice
- In a double boiler, heat the cream over gently boiling water until it reaches 190 degrees. (I used a candy thermometer).
- Add the lemon juice and continue to stir until it thickens almost like a custard. It will coat a wooden spoon well.
- It will be really thick at this point.
- Let it cool on the counter for about half an hour, then pour into a cheese cloth lined sieve and put into the fridge for 24 hours.
- The next day, peel off the cheese cloth and use as desired.