I realize that in order to make an ice cream sandwich all you really have to do is put ice cream between two cookies. However, that isn’t what you buy at the store. The stores have a corner on those soft chocolate rectangles with the little holes in them. Those are the ice cream sandwiches I was going for in this “make my own.”
See all of those lovely holes? See the rectangle? See the soft chocolate cookie? This is as close as it gets, folks. Anyway, this “make your own” comes in two parts: 1) The original chocolate cookie recipe which calls for a chocolate cake mix and 2) the recipe for a homemade chocolate cake mix….if you feel the need to go all the way homemade.
You could also use a gluten free chocolate cake mix and have a great gluten free treat!
1. Info for Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 package devil’s food chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- With a pastry blender, combine the cake mix with the other fats.
- Add the egg, water and vanilla and stir until combined into a very thick dough.
- Divide it into four portions and roll each portion out between waxed paper to 6X10 inch rectangles.
- Remove the top piece of waxed paper and flip one rectangle onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Lightly score the dough into 8 smaller rectangles 3X2 inches each
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 10 minutes or until puffed.
- Remove from oven and cut along the scored marks.
- Prick with a fork (to make those important holes!).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cooled, place ice cream between two cookies, wrap with plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours.
- Makes 16.