This is a wonderful bread for toast and sandwiches. It is firm and doesn’t crumble like some homemade breads. The flavor is wonderful. The original recipe was a lot more involved…more than I could handle, so I simplified it considerably.
1. Info for Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
- 4 cups really warm water
- 2½ cups oatmeal
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 8 cups flour
- Combine oats, oat bran, brown sugar, oil, salt and water in mixing bowl.
- Pour water over and stir.
- Let sit until oatmeal is softened.
- Add yeast and stir. When yeast has worked, start adding the flour.
- Knead or let mix the dough hook until smooth.
- Cover dough and let rise. (NOTE: this is a lot thicker dough than my usual bread, so it didn’t seem to rise as quickly or as much as I am used to).
- Shape into 3 loaves, cover and let rise again.
- Bake 375 degrees 30 minutes.