This week, I had the pleasure of spending the entire day with my husband’s 9-year-old nephew. Baby Aria found the cutest nickname for him: "Hashee". He loves to bake, so we spent the day in the kitchen.
First, we came up with a game plan. Hashee loves peanut butter, so we baked peanut butter cookies. We topped them with melty marshmallows and covered them with peanut crumb topping.
I’m planning on baking a lot for the July 4th celebrations. What kinds of cookies/pies/tarts/ do you enjoy most during this holiday?
1. Info for Peanut Butter Cookies with Marshmallow Peanut Crumb Topping
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 24
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cookies with Marshmallow Peanut Crumb Topping
- 1 whole egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter + 2½ tablespoons for crumb topping
- ½ cup light brown sugar + 2½ tablespoons for crumb topping
- ½ cup honey roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 17 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature + 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour + ⅓ cup for the crumb topping
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (10.5-ounce) bag mini marshmallows, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine ⅓ cup flour, 2 tablespoons butter, 2½ tablespoons peanut butter, 2½ tablespoons brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix using the back of fork (or a stainless-steel pastry blender) until it forms sandy crumbs of butter, sugar and flour. Do NOT over-mix. Store in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes until chilled.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the crumb topping onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly brown. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking soda and butter. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until even distributed. Add the peanut butter, brown sugar and coarsely chopped peanuts.
- When you’re ready to bake the cookies, place them on several (I used 4) parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheets. Make sure they’re spaced out so they won’t touch each other as they expand while baking. Using the bottom of a cup covered with a bit of flour, lightly flatten the cookie dough balls (2½" to 3" diameter).
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F. Open the oven, top each cookies with 4-5 mini marshmallows and return to the oven for 2 minutes to melt. Once they’re baked, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the peanut crumb topping. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool a little.
- Serve with a nice hot tea.
- Bon appétit!