This is the last cookie recipe of the year. Spritz have long been favorites, though I remember my mom swearing under her breath as she used her old fashioned copper and silver cookie press, trying to get pink and green wreaths and Christmas trees to come out onto the pan in a recognizable fashion.
I rarely color my dough. The cookie presses of today are so much easier to use that I just pop it in and shoot out the cookies. No swearing necessary!
Most times, I put little red hot candies or nonpareils on them before they bake. My husband, ever the frosting lover, wishes I’d at least glaze them. I always argue that the flavor stands alone just fine without frosting. What do you think? Do you glaze or frost your Spritz?
1. Info for Spritz Cookies
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Spritz Cookies
- 1½ cups butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Decorations of your choice
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla, scraping down the sides to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Place a portion of the dough into the cookie press and press onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with sprinkle, colored sugar, red hots, nonpareils, nuts, etc.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.