A buttery shortbread cookie crust meets a maple-pecan pie filling (no corn syrup here!) for these doubly good treats. The addition of hazelnuts and a touch of sea salt make them memorable.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Pecan, Hazelnut, and Maple Pie Bars.
- Time: 1 hr 25 min
- Servings: 32
- Calories: 258.98 kcal
Ingredients for Pecan, Hazelnut, and Maple Pie Bars
- 1 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- Butter (softened)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened, for dough)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (for dough)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for dough)
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter (melted, for filling)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed, plus 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (for filling)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for filling)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. bourbon (or rum, optional)
- Flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast the nuts on middle rack of oven just until they smell toasty and their color has deepened slightly, 7-9 minutes.
- When nuts are toasted, remove from oven and set aside to cool. Leave oven on.
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Place the butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer bowl. Beat on low speed to blend, then on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy. Add the flour and salt on low speed and continue beating, scraping bowl the sides of the bowl as needed, until a soft dough forms.
- Using clean, slightly dampened hands, press the dough into an even layer in bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the crust on middle rack of oven until it is golden brown, 28-30 minutes. Remove from oven when done. While crust bakes, prepare filling.
- Roughly chop the toasted nuts.
- Whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, salt, and bourbon (if using) in a large mixing bowl until smooth and combined. Fold in chopped nuts.
- Pour the filling evenly over the warm baked crust.
- Bake the bars on middle rack of oven until nuts are golden brown and the center is no longer jiggly when gently shaken, about 30 minutes.
- Check to see that bars are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- If desired, sprinkle bars lightly with flaky sea salt.
- Let bars cool about 30 minutes, then refrigerate at least 2 hours for filling to set.
- Slice and serve the cooled bars. Leftover bars may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, in the refrigerator for 5 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.