These sinfully scrumptious pumpkin marshmallow butterscotch oatmeal bars may be beautiful to look at and a bit messy to eat, but they were a huge hit at our house. First, I prepared a chewy oatmeal-brown sugar crust for both the base and the topping. For the filling, I selected Thanksgiving-related items such as pumpkin purée, oozy marshmallows, decadent butterscotch chips and chocolate chips.
This sweet treat is definitely going to be part of our Thanksgiving menu. When I asked for the family’s feedback, all I heard was “more”. You might also want to prepare a batch for the morning following Thanksgiving; these winning bars would be a perfect brunch contribution as well.
1. Info for Pumpkin Marshmallow Butterscotch Oatmeal Bars
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Pumpkin Marshmallow Butterscotch Oatmeal Bars
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter (2½ sticks), melted
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- cooking oil spray, for greasing the baking pan
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow fluff, to taste
- ⅓ cup dark bittersweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup butterscotch chips
- 1¼ cups ligh brown sugar
3.1 For the chewy oatmeal bar base and topping
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Line a (9 by 13-inch) baking pan with parchment paper. Spray cooking oil over it, especially on the sides of the pan.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, oatmeal, brown sugar and salt. Pour in the butter and mix until crumbs of butter, oatmeal and flour are visible. Do NOT over-mix. Transfer half the oatmeal dough into the baking pan. Even out the dough using food service gloves by flattening and slightly pressing on the oatmeal dough.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips. Cover with marshmallow fluff (I used almost the entire jar), add pumpkin purée. Even the purée with the spoon and sprinkle butterscotch chips over the purée. Crumble the rest of the oatmeal dough over the butterscotch. Return to the hot oven and bake for 20-25 more minutes until slightly golden. The marshmallow will start oozing out.
Using a paring knife, cut into 12 humongous bars.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
4. Tips and advices:
- You can store the chewy oatmeal gooey bars in the baking pan covered with a plastic lid for up to 2 days to keep them moist. Otherwise, you can simply eat them all, as we did .