These are my standard pot luck dessert. My neighbors and friends look forward to them at all of our get togethers. They take something like 10 minutes to put together and are so easy that I have had the recipe memorized for decades. My family adores them. Sometimes I drive them crazy by cutting them in little tiny pieces. Every one of them would prefer 5X5 squares.
Usually they look much better…something happened to my chips when I melted them. They didn’t get creamy and smooth, they got thick and dry. I don’t know what happened. Really and truly, the topping should be creamy and glossy. No matter, chocolate and butterscotch chips is an incredible combination. Long ago, I’d melt them and eat the creamy goodness with a spoon.
1. Info for Rice Krispies Scotcheroos
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Rice Krispies Scotcheroos
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Boil sugar and corn syrup until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth.
- Pour over rice crispy cereal in a big bowl.
- Press into a 9 X 13 pan.
- Melt chips in microwave, 1 minute at a time (burned chocolate chips are a terrible mess!!).
- Stir until smooth and spread over rice krispies.
- Let cool (in the summer, I put them in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden up), cut and serve.
4. Tips and advices:
- To make these gluten free, use gluten free crispy rice cereal. You can also use any other unsweetened gluten free cereal you prefer.