Today we made some ginger ice cream in the ice cream machine we got Daddy, my father-in-law, last Father’s day. The machine requires no pre-freezing, which is very convenient. I got the recipe for this frozen treat from PastryPal, which is written by Irina. We made half of the volume since it was the first time we were trying this recipe out. Irina’s recipe calls for 4 egg yolks, but I wasn’t about to throw away the 4 egg whites so I decide to make some almond tuiles.
Tuiles aux amandes are crisp thin cookies topped with slivered almonds. It’s a great garnish for ice cream because of the texture contrast between the crispy cookie and the creamy frozen treat.
1. Info for Tuiles Aux Amandes (Almond Tuiles)
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Servings: 50
- Calories: 462 kcal
2. Ingredients for Tuiles Aux Amandes (Almond Tuiles)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 14 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Quickly dry roast the almonds over the stove for about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the butter with powdered sugar using a handheld mixer. Add the egg whites and the orange extract. Whisk for about 30 seconds, do NOT overmix. Add the flour and salt. Mix until the mixture is smooth. Chill in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes to harden the preparation.
- Place a silicon mat or a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray. Spread about 1-2 teaspoons of cookie dough, creating disks, onto the silicon mat. Sprinkle the tuiles with the slivered almonds.
- Bake for about 7-8 minutes until the edges of the cookies are slightly golden. Remove from the oven.
- Immediately transfer the cookies almond side up, onto a rolling pin (or any circular-shaped tube), using a spatula. They will harden as they cool down, resulting in a curved-shape cookie.
- Serve as a garnish for ice cream or even mousse.
- Bon appétit!