I have always been intimidated by rolling meaty fillings in leaves. It seems like the leaves will tear. Most likely, I will get really frustrated and dinner will end up a mess. See? I already have completely psyched myself out of ever making stuffed cabbage or grapes leaves or even a lettuce wrap.
So instead of stressing out over perfectly wrapped cabbage leaves, I choose the messy way. The “let’s just throw it all together and enjoy the taste because I can never make it beautiful way.” And thus I give you UN stuffed cabbage. It contains all of the basic ingredients that would have been stuffed into leaves and yet, it isn’t. It’s stress free eating at its best. Trust me.
1. Info for Unstuffed Cabbage
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Unstuffed Cabbage
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 24 ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage, mild (sweet) or hot according to your tastes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a very large skillet, brown Italian sausage.
- When the meat is done, remove the meat to a bowl.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and saute the onion and cabbage until both are soft.
- Place onion and cabbage in the bottom of a greased 3 quart casserole dish.
- Combine the meat, seasoning and rice and layer that on top of the cabbage.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce on top of the meat.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sauce.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.