Savory Pies are one of my favorite frugal ways to use up leftovers. The thing is, none of them are ever exactly the same. There are so many variables, many of which can be gluten free, too. Here are a few ideas:
Crusts: (1 or 2 crust) Pie Crust (plain, with cheddar cheese or herbs or both) Mashed Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes Biscuits (plain, cheese, garlic, herb, onion, homemade, store-bought) Cornbread or Polenta Crescent Rolls or Puffed Pastry sheets Tortillas (bottom crust only) Cooked Spaghetti (bottom crust only)
Fillings: Cubed meat (beef, pork , turkey, chicken, steak, ham, hot dogs) Ground meat (leftover burgers or links – chopped or freshly cooked beef or turkey or sausage) Canned meat (spam, tuna, salmon, chicken) Veggies – frozen, canned, leftover, roasted (potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery, peas, corn, green beans, onions, beans) Other leftovers: chili, cheese, rice, beans, lentils
Liquids: gravies, soups (chunky or cream), spaghetti sauce, barbecue sauce
Cooking time depends on your crust. You want the filling to be bubbly and the crust to be done. Usually 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes will do it. If you are using fresh carrots, potatoes or any other dense vegetable, you may need more time.
Here is the recipe for this particular pot pie. I only used a hint of meat. Feel free to add more according to your tastes and budget.
1. Info for Variations on a Pot Pie
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Variations on a Pot Pie
- 1 pound roasted carrots, cut up
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen baby kale
- 1 5 oz can chicken breast
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 crust gluten free pastry (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 egg white or 1 Tbsp milk for wash on crust
- Place carrots, broccoli and kale in a 2-3 quart casserole dish.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Cook onions and celery until soft.
- Add undrained can of chicken and heat through.
- Add to other vegetables in casserole.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet.
- Stir in gluten free flour.
- While stirring, add chicken broth until it thickens.
- Add herbs and spices to broth, except thyme.
- Pour over chicken and vegetables, stirring only once or twice to combine.
- Top with pie crust.
- Brush crust with either milk or egg white, then sprinkle with thyme.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.