This recipe for tabbouleh with Fennel wins on many fronts.
Bulgur wheat is high in potassium and iron. All the other ingredients add to the nutritional value of this recipe.
Preparation time: 75 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Energy: 188 calories per serving
- Large serving bowl
- Sharp vegetable knife
- 225g bulgur wheat
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 celery stick
- 1 small red chilli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 lemons
- 6-8 spring onions
- Large handful flat leaf parsley
- Large handful mint
- De-string and chop the celery.
- Chop the spring onions.
- Thinly slice the fennel, keeping the fronds.
- Thinly slice the chilli, removing the seeds to reduce heat.
- Zest and juice the lemons.
- De-seed the pomegranate.
- Roughly chop the herbs.
- When everything is prepared, place the bulgur wheat in a large bowl and pour on enough cold water to cover.
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain the wheat through a sieve pressing out any excess water.
- Put wheat back into the bowl and mix in all the other ingredients.
- Season well then cover and leave to stand for a further 30 minutes.
- Before serving, chop the fennel fronds and use as garnish.