Recipe from Michaela Rosenthal, winner of The National Pork Board’s “America’s Favorite Family Recipes Contest” in celebration of National Eat Dinner Together Week.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Asian-Style Pork Sloppy Joes.
1. Info for Asian-Style Pork Sloppy Joes
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 50 min
- Servings: 6
2. Ingredients for Asian-Style Pork Sloppy Joes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced (can use jarred minced ginger)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed (can use jarred crushed garlic)
- 1 teaspoon Alpine Touch All-Purpose Seasoning, *
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese chili sauce, mild
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 green onion, sliced very thin
- 6 round kaiser rolls, split
- Heat 2 teaspoons each of peanut and sesame oil in a 12” (high-sided) skillet. Turn heat to medium and add onion, bell pepper and carrot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes (stirring occasionally) until vegetables begin to soften. Add ginger and garlic, stir for an additional minute; pour into bowl.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and add remaining teaspoon peanut oil with ground pork and seasoning. Fry pork, breaking up all lumps with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink (4-6 minutes) or until no longer pink.
- Add vegetables to skillet along with remaining ingredients, with the exception of green onions and rolls. Stir everything together, then decrease heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm Kaiser rolls in oven and place onto 6 plates. Divide Asian Sloppy Joe’s between the 6 sandwiches and sprinkle with green onion.