Homemade peach cobbler is a classic dessert in any Southern home. Made the soul food way, this version is deep-dish, juicy, and buttery, with a double crust and plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg. It’s simple to make, and easy even for novice bakers because it uses store-bought refrigerated pie crust. Take advantage of fresh peaches while they are in season from May through late September. Or use frozen peaches instead and just simmer the filling for about 10 minutes after you bring it to a boil. Note that the total time to make the recipe includes about 2 ½ hours for cooling.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Easy Southern Peach Cobbler .
1. Info for Easy Southern Peach Cobbler
- Cook Time: 4 Hr 0 Min
- Total Time: 4 Hr 0 Min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 523.65 kcal
2. Ingredients for Easy Southern Peach Cobbler
- salted butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- lemon juice
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- refrigerated pie crusts
- large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (375°F if you’re using a glass baking dish).
- Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters full with water and bring to a boil. Add a few peaches at a time and cook just until the skin loosens easily with a knife tip, about 15 seconds. Remove peaches from water with a slotted spoon and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel off skin, then cut peaches into wedges ½ to 1 inch thick.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a Dutch oven or 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat. Add sugars, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the pan and stir, then add peaches and stir to coat evenly. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely. To speed things up, transfer filling to a sheet pan and cool in the refrigerator.
- With room temperature butter, grease a 1 ½-quart baking dish that’s 2-½ to 3 inches deep and about 7×11 inches wide; or use an 8-inch square baking dish. If needed, roll out a single pastry dough round on a lightly floured surface to fit the shape of the dish. Press the single pastry dough round into the bottom and all the way up the sides of the dish and trim sides flush with top of dish.
- On a work surface, cut the second pastry dough round into strips 1-inch wide (or use the dough as a full sheet, rolling to fit the shape of the dish if needed). Pour the cooled peach filling into the lined dish. Arrange half the dough strips on top in one direction, then the remaining strips over them in the opposite direction to create a lattice. If using the full sheet, set it on top of the filling, letting the edges come up the sides of the dish a little, and cut a few slits in the center.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl to blend with the water. Brush top of dough with egg wash.
- Bake cobbler until golden brown and bubbling, 45-55 minutes. Let cool at least 2 hours before serving.