This holiday season, skip the cans for this entirely homemade green bean casserole. Everyone will agree the small amount of extra effort is worth this creamy, fresher-tasting dish.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Homemade Green Bean Casserole.
1. Info for Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 140.04 kcal
2. Ingredients for Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb. green beans (trimmed)
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion (medium)
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt (as needed, for blanching)
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for vegetables)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup french-fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut the green beans into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Slice the mushrooms, finely chop the onion, and mince the garlic and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the green beans. Blanch until bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain the green beans in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Set a large pot over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are browned and shrunken and onions are soft, 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour over mushrooms and onions. Stir with a rubber spatula to coat. Slowly pour the chicken broth into the pot, whisking to dissolve flour. Pour in the half-and-half and season with the salt and black pepper.
- Cook the sauce, whisking constantly, until it begins to bubble and thicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow sauce to simmer, whisking occasionally, until it is reduced by about a third, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the green beans to pot and stir to coat with sauce. Pour green bean mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the casserole on middle rack of oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the french-fried onions in even layer over top. Continue baking until casserole is bubbling at edges, 5-10 minutes.
- Check to see that casserole is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow casserole to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.