This recipe is courtesy of Chef Kevin Gillespie and Forods Ze’
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Bakonyi Pork Chops with Hungarian Dumplings.
1. Info for Bakonyi Pork Chops with Hungarian Dumplings
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 4
2. Ingredients for Bakonyi Pork Chops with Hungarian Dumplings
|3 1/2 oz
|2 (medium, about 5-6 ounces each)
|Lard (pork fat)
|1 tablespoon (or 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil)
|Onion (finely chopped)
|Tomato (peeled, finely diced; fresh or canned)
|Bell pepper (yellow or red, without seeds, cut in half lengthwise)
|Sweet paprika powder
|2 3/8 cups
|Free range egg
|Potato starch (or corn starch)
- Leave the smaller mushrooms as a whole, and chop the medium and larger ones in quarters. Heat a pan without any oil until it smokes, add the mushrooms and fry them until they get some color. Set aside.
- Add the diced bacon to the pan, fry it until golden brown and crispy, set aside with the melted fat. Add one diced onion to the pan and fry it until golden, too.
- Flatten the pork chop with a meat tenderizer to .5 cm thin and season them with salt and pepper. Add some lard to the pan and fry the chops for about a minute on both sides. Set aside.
- Add some more lard/oil to the pan, add the finely chopped onion and sauté it until translucent. Add the diced tomato, salt and pepper and fry until the tomato gets some brownish color.
- Pour over some of the 2 cups water, add the bell pepper and the precooked pork chop slices and flavour it with sweet paprika powder, crushed garlic and dried marjoram. Cook it on medium heat for about 15 minutes. If all the water evaporates, add some more to keep the whole stuff moist.
- In the meantime, prepare galuska, the side dish: boil about 4 liters of water with a good amount of salt in a large pot.
- Put the flour into a bowl, add 2 pinches salt and the whole egg, then pour over with most of the 1 cup water, but save a little for later. With just a few movements, mix the whole thing into a sticky dough with a spatula. If it has not become soft enough, add the remaining water.
- When the water is boiling, put half of the dough on a cutting board and form a 2 cm wide stripe from it. With a wet knife, cut 1 cm small pieces from the dough and let them fall into the water. This is continued until all the dough has run out. Once the dumplings have come to the top of the water, cook them for another 2-3 minutes, then strain, rinse, sprinkle with a little salt and a tablespoon of oil or fat.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream with 1 teaspoon of starch and 3 tablespoons of warm meat sauce from the pan. Mix well and add this stuff back to the pan. Add the mushrooms with all the juice they have, let it cook for 2 minutes more on low heat. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- In a hot pan, mix the galuska with the crispy bacon, browned onions and the leftover fat.
- Serve the galuska in a deeper plate, place the pork chops on top and pour over with all the creamy sauce. Garnish with some fresh parsley.